Play Free Roulette
What Is Roulette?
Roulette is a game of chance played in casinos for more than 300 years. While its rules are slightly different based on the variant, the main goal is the same: The croupier spins the wheel and drops a ball on it. Players must place a bet before the wheel and the ball stop. The goal is to predict where the ball will land, and the payout will be determined according to the possibility of that outcome. There are a lot of betting options, each with a different probability.
How Does Online Roulette Work?
The table layout, bet payouts, winning odds and rules are the same, both in online and land-based roulette. If you learn to play one, you can easily play the other. There are only two differences:
- You can play roulette game for fun, if you prefer online gaming. Land-based game version cannot be played for free.
- Instead of a croupier, an RNG (random number generator) software spins the roulette wheel in the online version. This means a computer software decides where the ball will stop by generating random numbers. It is impossible to crack this system and predict where the ball is going to land
Play Roulette Online, Win Real Money
Rules and bet types of roulette do not differ in online versions. Online roulette wheel, for example, is still the same and contains the same sections. You can still win real money, too: In fact, this is easier in online games. Here are some of the advantages of playing free roulette online:
- There is nothing to distract you while playing online games. You will be able to focus more easily on the game.
- It is also possible to take notes if necessary. This is an important advantage because as you will see on our strategies and tactics pages, following the statistics is important to raise your winning odds.
- No download is needed to play online games in the UK, nearly all of them support the instant play feature. In other words, you can start playing and winning in mere seconds, wherever you are. It is possible to use all kinds of portable devices to play, such as mobile phones, tablets, and phablets. You decide the time and the place, and in this way, you can enjoy playing the game.
- One of the biggest advantages of online roulette games is bonuses. As you will see in our reviews, most of the online casinos offer special bonuses to roulette players in the UK. These bonuses help you through your gambling journey. Some of them will deposit free money to your account, and some of them will give you thousands of dollars for winning a specific bet.
Want to learn more about free roulette? Keep reading!
How to Play Roulette for Free?
Playing a free roulette demo is very easy – you can learn everything you need to do in 5 minutes by following the 5 easy steps below:
- Pick one of the free roulette games to play. (Take a look at the “roulette variants” section to get some suggestions about this.)
- Click the “play now” button. The demo of the game will load in mere seconds on your browser.
- The first thing to do is to decide which outcome you want to bet. There are lots of outcomes for placing a bet, and we recommend sticking with outside bets for now – read the “tips & tricks” section below for more information about this.
- The next step is to decide how much you want to bet for that specific outcome. Once again, stick with the minimum bet limit at the beginning.
- We have cleared up two things so far: What to bet and how much money to wager. So, place the chip(s) on the appropriate section of the table. The chips must match the amount of the bet.
For example, if you are placing 10 credits for the straight bet, place 10 casino chips (or a single chip that is worth 10 credits) on the number you want to bet on.
That’s all: Spin the wheel and hope to be lucky enough. Repeat these actions until you score a winning!
Types of Roulette Games
As mentioned above, there are lots of versions of his table game. While the general rules are the same, these are two important differences between these variants:
- The winning chance is not the same. Each of these variants has a different RTP/House Edge percentage. In other words, some are better than others to score a winning.
- Betting options are not the same. Some variants offer additional betting options or include additional rules. For example, “basket bet” allows you to wager on five numbers, and it is available only in the American variant.
So, what are the main roulette game types and what you should know about them?
Classic Variations of Roulette
These variants are as old as the game itself, and they are the most common games you can find at online casinos. The distinction between these variants is based on the betting options and rules.
- European Roulette: The main (and most common) variant of roulette. The wheel has 37 numbers (only one “0”). When we say free roulette, this should be the first game that comes to your mind. It’s RTP rate is 97.30%.
- American Roulette: The wheel contains 38 numbers (one “0” and one “00”). There are also additional betting options, such as basket bet. This is the worst variant when it comes to winning odds: It’s RTP rate is 94.74%.
- French Roulette: This is actually European Roulette, but it has additional rules, known as “La Partage” and “En Prison”. Basically, players can recover some of their losses for certain betting options, and this increases the RTP rate of this variant to 98.65%. In short, this one offers the best odds among all free roulette games.
Modern Variations of Roulette
The distinction between these variants is usually based on the amount of wagers, not the rules or betting options. For example, a 20p roulette can use the European or American wheel, but its minimum bet limit will always be 20p.
- Double Ball Roulette: This variant is actually European roulette, but two balls are thrown to the wheel at the same time, instead of one. Players can place a bet on number or numbers on which two balls will stop. Another difference is that the balls are thrown by a device, not a croupier. This variant has a land-based version too.
- Multi Wheel Roulette: This variant is only for online gambling. This is because it allows you to spin up to 8 wheels at the same time, which is a feature that can be simulated only in online games. The wheels can belong to the European or American roulette, depending on the version you are playing. Other than the fact that you are spinning 8 wheels at the same time, this variant has no specific difference.
- 20p Roulette: As explained above, you can spin the wheel for as low as 20 pence per spin. This is the main (and only) feature of this variant, it is designed for low-rollers and players with a limited budget.
Table Layouts & the Roulette Wheel
The table layout of both freeplay roulette and or real money roulette is simple. Here is what you need to know:
- The wheel is located on the left or right side of the table.
- The rest of the table is covered with grids & numbers. Based on the variant you are playing, you will see at least 37 numbers (or 38, if you are playing the American variant). There will also be a couple of other sections, such as red, black, odd, even.
- The same numbers can also be seen on the wheel. Some of them will be red, and others black – this is because you can place a bet even on colours.
- Each of these grids & numbers represents a betting option. By placing the chips on top of them, you are placing a bet on that option. For example, if you place 50 chips on top of Red 7, you are placing a straight/single bet for this specific outcome. (You can place multiple bets at the same time.)
- The numbers/grids close to the corners of the table are known as “outside bets”. Others are known as “inside bets”. As a general rule, inside bets pay more, but they have lower probabilities.
How to Bet in Roulette?
Whether you are playing roulette free play version or using real money, the rules and betting options remain the same. You must place your bet before the croupier spins the wheel. These are the options you can place a bet on:
- Straight Bet: Placing a bet for a single number, i.e. red 7. Pays 35 to 1, your chance of winning is 2.7%.
- Split Bet: Placing a bet on two adjacent numbers. Pays 17 to 1, your chance of winning is 5.4%.
- Street Bet: Placing a bet on three numbers (on a row). Pays 11 to 1, your chance of winning is 8.1%.
- Corner Bet: Placing a bet on four numbers (that meet on a square). Pays 8 to 1, your chance of winning is 10.8%.
- Line Bet: Placing a bet for six numbers (on two consecutive rows). Pays 5 to 1, your chance of winning is 16.2%.
- Dozen/Column: Placing a bet on 12 numbers (on all three columns). Pays 2 to 1, your chance of winning is 32.40%.
- Low/High: Placing a bet on all numbers between 1 – 18 or 19 -36. Pays 1 to 1, your chance of winning is 48.60%.
- Red/ Black: Placing a bet on whether the outcome will be a red or black colour (the number is not important). Pays 1 to 1, your chance of winning is 48.60%.
- Odd/Even: Placing a bet on whether the outcome will be an odd or even number (the colour is not important). Pays 1 to 1, your chance of winning is 48.60%.
Please note that these betting options and winning chances are based on the European variant. In the American variant, they will be worse. And in the French variant, they will be slightly better. Once again, there may be additional betting options based on the variant you are playing.
Main Roulette Strategies
- The Martingale Strategy: This is a progressive betting strategy that requires doubling the wager amount after every loss. For example, if you start playing with 2 credits and lose, your bet will be 4 credits in the second round. If you lose it too, increase the amount to 8 credits and so on. The idea is simple: You will win sooner or later, and when you win, the amount will be big enough to cover all your losses. This is true, but if you are on a limited budget and cannot score a win after a couple of spins, Martingale strategy will cause you to go bankrupt. It only works if you have enough budget to cover your losses until you win.
- Fibonacci Strategy: Fibonacci numbers are 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, and so on – basically, it is a sequence of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding ones. This sequence can be seen in nature too, as a “golden ratio”. Fibonacci strategy is based on placing a bet on these numbers. Why? We have no idea. The belief is, since these numbers can be seen in nature, there must be something special about them, so they will work in roulette too.
- Fisher Roulette Strategy: This strategy also requires increasing the wager amount, but not as aggressively as Martingale. Basically, you will place the same amount in the first four rounds, i.e. 10 + 10 + 10 + 10. In the fifth round, you will multiply the last three numbers and use the result as your bet amount (i.e. 30). Play three more rounds (30 + 30 + 30 + 30) and use the total of last three digits in the ninth round – it goes like this. It is like a controlled version of the Martingale strategy.
How to Win at Online Roulette?
- You have a much bigger winning chance with the outside bets, stick with them. The chance to win an outside bet is 48.60%, which is a pretty high figure. Yes, they pay less, but you are more likely to win. Always bet on the outside numbers.
- Stay away from the American variant – its house edge is too high. Prefer European or French, both of them offer much higher RTP rates. In this regard, stay away from roulette games with bonus bets: Their RTP is way too low.
- Practise with free roulette games. Until you understand what is going on, play roulette free games and test each bet/tactic/strategy without taking a financial risk. Playing in the fun mode is the best way of learning any casino game.
Interesting Facts About Roulette
- There is a game called “La Partage”. The rules hugely favour the player. The casino edge in this variant is only 1.35%. You can only find this game in France.
- The worst bet is called the “Five”. This bet is only available if you play American roulette. You stake on three sections: 1, 3, and 00. The Five bet gives the casino an edge over 7.89%.
- James Bond loves to play roulette. (He is also a professional baccarat player.) Mr. Bond only bets on red 17.
- Roulette could be the choice of aristocrats in the past, but nowadays it is the choice of women. Statistics show that 47% of roulette players are female.
- If you somehow find an “Eagle Table”, you can sell it for millions of dollars. Before the “00” section, Vegas tables contained an “eagle” section. The size of this slot was huge and the ball landed there much often for this reason. Players started to stay away from Eagle tables, and the casinos quickly “invented” the 00 slot. Today, they are extremely rare and valuable.
- Roulette balls are made of ivory. Some casinos prefer plastic balls.
- Do you know what a “fret” is? It is the name of the small wooden walls that separate the slots on the wheel. Before the 20th century, frets were made by hand and contained production errors. Because of these errors, it was possible to predict where the ball will land if you have a nice vision and a lot of experience. A man named Joseph Jagger did exactly this and “broke the bank” in Monte Carlo Casino in 1872. (Breaking the bank means that the casino goes bankrupt in one night.) 18 years after, Charles Deville did the same thing. Since then, the wheels are fabricated and do not contain any errors.
- The last successful cheating in roulette happened in 2004. A group of players developed a specific mobile app and a hidden laser scanner. They scanned the wheel in secret, sent the information to a computer by using their mobile phones and correctly predicted where the ball will land. They won millions of dollars in one night. The fun part was, they got caught in the end, but the laws were unclear so they kept their winnings.
- Ever heard of the “Californian Roulette”? This variant is played with poker cards, instead of chips.
✅ Can I play online roulette for free?
Yes, you can try the demo version of roulette games for free on our site. It does not require registration, and you can practice the game as long as you need before you decide to switch to real money roulette.
📕 What are the roulette odds?
Roulette odds vary from one variation to another. The two most common variants are American and European. In American roulette, your odds of winning on a straight bet is 2.6%. For European, the odds are 2.7%. These odds can increase depending on how you bet. For even bets, your odds are between 47.4% and 48.60%
🥇 What is the best UK online casino for roulette games?
The best UK casinos to play roulette games is Coral. It offers punters 15 roulette games in the Casino section and 22 game versions in the Live Casino. It is also a safe casino that is duly regulated and also duly licensed.
💷 Can I play free roulette in online casino and win real money?
Yes, you can play roulette for free and win real money. To do this, you have to register for an account at any of our recommended casinos and check for the available bonuses. From time to time, casinos award new or regular players with free cash or free spins. For example, Coral Casino has Exclusive Live Casino Host Promotions where every day of the week you can win some free bonus from the host.
Our Free Roulette player’s rating based on 321 Players